Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Papercraft Star A Decorated Tray and a little Tutorial

Hello!
My we are having lovely weather ... what a difference to be working with the doors and windows open and the sun filtering through ...

Today is a brand new Photo Inspiration challenge at Papercraft Star


There's so much to choose from in this photo ... Beautiful colours and just look at the piano covered in foliage ...

The hydrangeas jumped out at me here and a light bulb went on ... See, I have this pretty tray which got damaged


So it was time to play with my digital images and see what I could do ... Here's what I ended up with


Now doesn't that look better? A close up before I give you an idea of how I did this


I use an iMac computer ... it's my best friend ... so the program I use when working with digitals is Print Shop ...

I started here with a digital paper by Erica Coombs which looked like this


... Until I lightened it in Print Shop so that it looked something like this


Then I took this image from The Graphics Fairy




 and changed it to a transparency (using Adobe Photoshop Elements) and saved it as a png file ... 

Once saved I could open it in Print shop and change the colour to get more of a blue shade as in the Inspiration photo
... So it then looked like this




I could then layer this in different sizes and directions onto my paper ...
when I was happy with the design I then used Hero Arts digitals (Formes & letters) on top - you could of course stamp instead if you wanted but with digitals you can alter the sizes


As a final touch I found the definition of Hydrangea on the internet written in French


Once I was completely happy I just printed the image on ordinary copy paper and used Mod Podge to adhere it to my tray and added a few coats of clear lacquer to protect it 

So thanks to this challenge I now have a pretty 'new' tray ...
I hope you will be inspired as I was to join us this week ... please hop over to the blog to check out the creations from the rest of the DT 

Thanks for stopping by ... keep safe

~ Ros ~











29 comments:

Deb Hickman said...

Wow, what a beautiful transformation, you are so clever with these digital images. Deb x

BEARKIS said...

Very,very good work,congrats!!!!

Astrid Maclean said...

Very clever, love how you have layered the elements and blended them together and it certainly makes for a huge improvement!!

Diane said...

Wow...this is stunning...I wish we lived close, so you could teach me all your creativeness!!! Another masterpiece!!

Zue said...

You are clever! It looks lovely and worth all the different steps.
Very hot here, generally in the 30 s. I am hiding, luckily I don't have to go anywhere!
Sue xxx

3treescreations@gmail.com said...

GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!

Deanne :)

Linda Breedlove said...

Ros... I wish I had a tray to alter... this is drop dead gorgeous!!!!! ... and a great tutorial. Thank you... and please do more!
Have a wonderful Wednesday, my friend.

Barbara said...

This is - you are! - amazing! And every time I see one of your wonderful digital creations I think I should get into that ;-)

Unknown said...

Way to go girl, you´re on a roll! Another stunningly beautiful creation appears before my eyes, gorgeously altered tray, it will look ravishing on your garden table Ros! Hugs, Ira x
irascreacorner.blogspot.nl

Heather Rogers said...

What a beautiful tray! You are one handy lady with that computer and Photoshop program! :)

Tracy said...

Didn't know you were a digital art genius Ros. hee hee. You sure layered some great images together to refurbish your lovely tray. Hugs!

♥Jan♥ said...

Such a packed full photo, and yet you, Sue, and I all chose to focus on the hydrangeas. What an amazing transformation from the old tray !! Gorgeous. Hugs !! -J-

Sylvia said...

Beautiful tray, Ros, I love the colors and beautiful flowers you used! Fabulous, digital world out there! Have a beautiful Thursday!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

This is STUNNING Ros, and I love your tutorial, you must be good at PSE, would you like to do a tutorial for OBW? The readers would love it!

Mona Pendleton said...

So beautiful Ros! Those flowers are gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Ros this is spectular!!!!!! I can NOT do digital and get frustrated!! I LOVE THIS tray!!!

June Houck said...

Your digi work is amazing! I am in awe of this beautiful tray. Fabulous, Ros :)

Unknown said...

Your tray looks amazing my friend. Well done...

Hugs~

Davi said...

Love what you did with the tray Ros!! Those hydrangeas are gorgeous!!

Jinny Newlin said...

What an amazing transformation, Ros! Absolutely gorgeous, and that woodgrain.. Swoon!

Sasha said...

Fabulous Ros! Your tray looks beautiful with those gorgeous hydrangeas x

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

Wow, what a transformation! Your tray looks beautiful with those gorgeous hydrangeas. Fabulous alteration :)

Stella said...

Oh my Ros this is stunning; hydrangeas are one of my faves and this tray is loaded with these beauties. I love how you created this. The result is breathtaking. Gorgeous!
XXXXXXx

Rebekah said...

Simply stunning Ros. You're a wiz with the computer. Beautiful tray!

Chris said...

Wow, what a transformation. Your tray is gorgeous.

Thanks very much for sharing how you made it

Chris xx

Sue Lelli said...

Wow, Ros! YOU are just so tech savvy and clever! This is GORGEOUS and I LOVE the French definition! Wow!

AppleApricot Wen said...

Ohhh, I love this tray!! It turned out gorgeous Ros, wow! And what a clever idea! Totally fab project!

Sleepy Stamper said...

Brilliant idea Ros. This tray looks so beautiful. Water slides work really well in this type of project too.
Hugs,
Anitra

Michelle said...

Holy smokes! This is fabulous, Ros! I wish I was better at working with my computer! Gorgeous tray! Could easily become a family heirloom!