Sunday, April 27, 2014

Oranges and Lemons....


Good morning!

How's your weekend going?

It's time for another word prompt over at


... And today Milagros has picked the prompt...
Fruit


I confess that I don't eat as much as I should ... and yet it always looks so colourful and inviting
Most of the fruit we buy is of course imported to the UK ... It's not till mid summer that home grown is ready ... We used to have fields here where you could pick your own strawberries and it was a favourite pastime ... especially for my son who ate as much as he picked
Now many of these fields have been redeveloped ...


But being a good girl - this has been part of my breakfast lately ... I love strawberries but I have to be careful ... some years ago I suffered kidney stones and it seems those tiny little seeds on the strawberries can be a contributory factor


My all time favourite has to be these


Raspberries ... delicious but very expensive here ... that tiny handful cost £2 so I usually make a rustic raspberry and lemon cheese cake with them ... you can find the recipe Here and though I don't have a photo of mine ... I can promise you that it looks exactly like the one on Susie's blog
I actually cook a lot ... and I often use fruit in my recipes ... even in my salads ... so these can always be found in my kitchen


They remind me of a game we played as little children whilst singing this nursery rhyme

"Oranges and lemons" say the bells of St. Clement's
  "You owe me five farthings" say the bells of St. Martin's
"When will you pay me?" say the bells of Old Bailey
"When I grow rich" say the bells of Shoreditch
"When will that be?" say the bells of Stepney
"I do not know" say the great bells of Bow
"Here comes a candle to light you to bed
Here comes a chopper to chop off your head
Chip chop chip chop - the last man's dead."

                 You can read the origins of it Here ... It's about the bells in London and the executions that took place ... Not really what you'd expect for a nursery rhyme

I hope you'll link up with us this week at
We love seeing what you share with us

Have a beautiful Sunday ...

~ Ros ~


 


13 comments:

Robyn Oliver said...

Hi Ros...your photos are so lovely...fresh and crisp and colourful - just like all the fruits we eat. I love berries too - expensive here in Australia too and I don't eat lots of citrus but DO love a lemon meringue pie. Two fruits a day is my aim too but I don't always manage it. Cheers and have a great week Robyn

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

That tune brings back childhood memories!!!!
I wish I would eat more fruits too, I love them but just didn't have the habit of eating them on a daily basis which I think I should.
Wonderful shots!!!

Barbara said...

Oh, there are raspberries in my refrigerator... They are expensive here, too, but sometimes I just have to buy them, especially when my muesli only ever had apples all winter. Beautiful pictures!

Manuela said...

the orange looks so juicy, yummy, yes raspberry are so delicious, we have some plants in our garden and I can't wait to pick them. The cake looks so scrumptious, i will definitely try it, thanks for this hint.
appetizing photos!
Wish you a great week!

Sylvia said...

What beautiful photo's Ros, you are quite the professional at staging them! I love every piece of fruit on the table, but alas I can't eat any of these. I can still eat pineapple and apples, blueberries and grapes if I peel them! so sad to see them on the table and know they are good for you, but forbidden! Oh well there are always other blessings! Beautiful Sunday to you!

Sue Lelli said...

Oh I am so yearning for some of those YUMMY fruits! The colors are spectacular, Ros!

Unknown said...

All your fruits looks so yummy. My favorite fruit is peaches. But it seems like it is hard to find good ones.. Awesome photos my friend.

Hugs~

Diane said...

Beautiful and yummy fruits...you are making me want the season!! I have a fondness for red raspberries as well, I'll bring "tea" you can make the dessert...lol...don't we wish!!

Stella said...

Ohh raspberries; yes that is indeed a treat. The are not as expensive here as in the UK but stil something you do not buy or eat on a daily base. I love love love strawberries and fresh orange juice so you got me with the first photo. I pinned the recipe of that rustic cake immediately....:)
XXXXX

Tracy said...

This post is making me hungry. :-) I guess apples are my favorite, but I do enjoy strawberries and raspberries too. Looks like a yummy breakfast. Hugs!

Alexa T said...

Wow... it looks so yummy...and such bright colors of all fruits! The raspberries are so delicious and expensive fruits in here, too! All the best!

Heidi said...

Beautiful photos!
Bright and pretty colours:)
Hugs, Heidi:)

Skye said...

Beautiful photos. Raspberries are one of my favorites too and I will be trying that recipe it looks delicious. I am not surprised about the gruesome history of oranges & lemons. The nursery rhyme ring-a-ring of roses has it's origins in the Black Death