Sunday, July 20, 2014

Our Beautiful World

Good morning...

It's Sunday and that means a new word prompt at 
Manuela has chosen the prompt and it's Vegetable....

Well much as I love my vegetables ... I neither grow them - save for some potatoes occasionally - and I never think to photograph vegetable either ... So this one got me thinking


Now garlic is a vegetable right? It's something I use a lot ... and as you can see mine has it's own special pot too ...
Perhaps it's because I come from a family where 2 of my Grandparents were French and one was Swiss that I like to flavour food with garlic and herbs ... It's good for you too


I do grow herbs ... and in my vegetable box there are always onions, white and red, carrots which I love roasted and of course potatoes ...
Over the years I have become a much more confident cook ... my husband loves his food and he particularly loves the meals I come up with ... There were many times in my life that money was tight ... even as a child ... and I learned to cook good wholesome food on a budget ... 

This is our local farm shop ... plenty of root vegetables


But it's expensive ... probably because these aren't actually grown on this farm ... I wish I'd taken a photo of the vegetables on display in Spain and Majorca ... half the price and 3 times as big as ours ... And some I have never encountered before ... I think you always 'eat' with your eyes first so my meals and my salads have to be colourful which means lots of different vegetables... And I love beetroot and cauliflower, green beans and peas ... well, I don't think there is anything I don't like when it comes to vegetables

What about you? We'd love it if you shared with us at


Perhaps you can enlighten me as to some of the more exotic vegetables and how you cook them too ...

Wishing you a blessed Sunday

~ Ros ~






13 comments:

Unknown said...

The sheer delight of going to the marketplace to get fresh groceries! My DH and I love to buy them fresh and we grow our own herbs in the garden, such as parsley, basil, lemon balm (makes such lovely tea!) and chive. We, too, use garlic very frequently, actually almost every day ;-) Love your shots Ros! Hugs, Ira x
Ira’s Crea Corner

Sue Lelli said...

THAT was an interesting prompt! I'm not much of a vegetable person so you are right about the colors making them look better! LOL! Great photos!

Diane said...

Oh my another fun post....I too love my veggies and we certainly have our pick here in Michigan this time of the year...I am going to make time to do a post on this one today...and you are right it is all getting more pricey...I love to cook too and am self taught.....thanks for sharing!!

Manuela said...

Yes, garlic and herbs are the best to spice the meals.
I eat also almost everything from the vegetable variety.
Great shots!
Wish you a great week. Manuela

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

I am a big garlic fan too, I do use less because Randy is not a big fan, he eats garlic, just not too much, so I reduced the amount of garlic when I cook.

Robyn Oliver said...

Hi Ros...great when you can grow your own here in Aus they are expensive too, so can't wait till we're finally settled and get to digging up the earth. Love you little pot for garlic, it's a staple here too but wish herbs featured more in my dishes. Hugs Robyn

Davi said...

All you veggie pics are great eyecandy :) I most especially love your garlic one with the very cool garlic pot and cloves! I dont think there is a day that goes by I dont use garlic in at least one meal! I love to cook and whatever I can grow in the garden makes the food all the better :)

Lululiz said...

Oooh, garlic, I couldn't do without it. Raw in garlic mayonnaise, cooked in almost all dishes, roasted with Sunday dinner, pickled, I love it all.

Anonymous said...

Cute post! I LOVE my garlic!!

Mascha said...

I like the garlic too and this beautiful pot!
I like all vegetables and would eat lots of it, if it does not often would be too expensive for me ... but I lile creative cooking with what I get random.

Pam said...

Your garlic pot looks so lovely Ros! So colourful, I'm sure I'd smile whenever I had to use it.
Garlic is one of my most fav foods esp when it's been roasted whole. Yumm! :)

Sylvia said...

Love all the veggie photos, Ros, that garlic looks good, alas I can't eat it anymore!

Tracy said...

I need to go back to eating vegetables as well as I used to. I like roasted carrots too as well as green beans, peas, potatoes, and corn. We gave up on the garden because the deer eat it before we can. LOL :-)