Sunday, May 03, 2020

A "Card" Card

Hello...
 
Well I had to make a "card" card... You know, one that doesn't just involve painting and doodling
I must admit that inspiration was just not there but it had to be done, my great nephew Ross is turning 18... Can you believe it? Where did those years go? 
Anyway, here's what I came up with


I die cut a balloon to make a stencil and did some ink blending and then stenciled over that to apply foiling.. I wasn't sure where I was going after that but eventually something came together


 I haven't seen Ross for a long time and it's a shame that his 18th Birthday will probably not be the celebration he had hoped for. He's overcome so many obstacles and health issues in his life, so as long as he's safe that's the best we can hope for.

Now a funny story to tell you... well sort of funny
Missy once again managed to catch a large mouse and bolted indoors with it before I could stop her... After searching every room Mikey and I finally located the mouse in the living room (Missy had let it go). Well we tried unsuccessfully for ages to catch it but it really gave us the run around. After about 30 minutes and every stick of furniture being overturned, Mikey finally caught it. Well there he was talking to it so gently as he carried it towards the garden "It's okay little one, you're safe now....." When suddenly it sunk it's teeth into his finger and would not let go. I tell you, the screams from my son along with words I couldn't possible repeat were hysterical. Eventually both mouse and Mikey were separated and both survived. I'd had visions of having to take my son to A&E during a Corona pandemic with a mouse bite can you imagine.... Lol!

Okay, time for a cup of tea I think... Be safe, enjoy your day and keep smiling

~ Ros ~
 

12 comments:

Diane said...

This is a really great card!! You have inspired me to make a few birthday balloon cards with a stencil. Okay the mouse story, well it freaked me out as I am terrified of them in real life, I can't even fathom being bit by one, but I had to laugh at his words I can only imagine...yikes!! Hugs!!

Marcia Hill said...

Your card making skills still seem to be intact to me Ros...I think Ross's card turned out FABULOUSLY!! And your mouse story is hysterical although I'm sure Mikey didn't think so when the mouse sunk it's teeth into him! Glad everything turned out ok and that they both survived! Hugs. :0)

Carole said...

Hi Ros...|I like your birthday card for your nephew. I wish I could cobble something as nice together when my inspiration is lacking. As for the mouse!!!!!! I would have been on a chair screaming...no way close enough to get bitten...brave Mikey! xx

Pat said...

This balloon filled card is great for an 18th birthday Ros, and the little die cut balloons and graph tucked into the sentiment strip is a great idea, and love the gold foiled spots and stars too. A fantastic card. x

Leslie Miller said...

Your card sure doesn't look uninspired, Ros. It's fabulous! Perfect for a young man's birthday. I'm glad Mikey's okay after his mouse bite! I'd be nervous about that. At least it wasn't a filthy city rat. Maybe just a little garden mouse.

Bonnie said...

This is so festive, Ros! It's so hard to do cards for teens and this fits the bill perfectly! Love the number candles! The perfect finishing touch! When we had a cat, she loved to bring critters in the house. Once she found a nest of bunnies and every morning she'd bring one in to me. Probably a little easier to find than a mouse!

Maria said...

Happy 18th Birthday to your great nephew, Ross! The birthday card for him is so sun and colorful! Wonderful balloons and stars! I'm sure he will love it! And, a funny story about the mouse! Although, a bite from the mouse is not funny! I would not get close to the mouse for sure. My hubby deals with any mice around here, lol!

Sue Lelli said...

OMGosh I can totally picture that! At least my cat just brings lizards and once in a while a baby snake indoors!
Your card came together well and he will LOVE it! I really LOVE all the shiny gold!

Darnell said...

Oh, my weak heart, that story was written so well, Ros! I think I actually jumped when the mouse bit him on the finger! No good deed goes unpunished, lol! So glad he is fine and didn't have to go to the ER!! Your birthday card is literally a party on a card! All you need is one of those applause and whistles sound-maker gizmos!! Take care and keep on keeping on! Hugs, Darnell

Greta said...

Oh my goodness--not funny!! Hope he's current on tetanus & it doesn't get infected! Better keep a close eye on that wound. OK--off my nurse pedestal! That is one super special 18th BD card! Love the numbers with candles & foiling over the balloons--brilliant idea! Sad he can't have the big party, but you're right--safe & healthy is what matters!

Mac Mable said...

Thanks for sharing the story and hope Mikey has recovered?!! Wonderful masculine card Ros and I bet he loved it? x

Barbara said...

Such a gorgeous card but you have me in stitches with the story about the mouse bite... I had an incident with a bird on Saturday and by the end of it was ready for a valium. Picture Barbara running after Larry running after the bird through the living and dinig rooms... The sparrow did survive and flew off in the end.