Sunday, November 25, 2012

Floods, Firemen and Tags

Hi there ...
I hope you are having a good weekend ... 
I know lots of people in the South West of the UK are really having a bad time with the floods and high winds ... 




My thoughts are with them all ... The idea of being flooded out is awful and with only weeks to Christmas and a bad winter being forecast ... Well, I can only thank God that my family and friends are safe ... The emergency services particularly the Firemen have their work cut out!

Talking of Firemen ... Here's something that gave my husband a laugh 
I have always had a penchant for men in uniform ... maybe that stems from the fact that a few of my family are Royal Navy people ... Anyway, I answered a knock at my door a couple of days ago to find a stunningly handsome young fireman standing there ... Talk about being dumbstruck! Now I don't know about where you live ... but here we are fortunate to have the Fire Brigade come to check that we have fire alarms installed, that they work ... and in the event that you are silly enough not to have at least one ... they will install one for you free of charge. 
We have 2 alarms ... one upstairs and one downstairs ... my handsome young man came and checked both of them but just as he was about to take some details ... my name ... phone number  ... The fire engine sounded an alarm to say they had an emergency and had to go ... 
I was therefore surprised (but smiling) when the same guy came back the next evening to take details ... 
I said to my husband .. "Isn't life unfair ... why didn't that guy knock on my door 40 years ago to check out my equipment?" ... My hubby laughed and said "Well at least he came to see you twice..." "Yes ... I said ... "That's called rubbing my nose in it!" 

Ok ... onto a little creativity ... I've finally made a start on a few Christmas tags ...


I did all the wording on my computer and cut the tags on the Big shot


The paper is by Papermania 


I'm getting panicky now ... only a week till I leave for Lincoln and all the mail going abroad has to be bought, packed and sent before I go .... not to mention the Christmas shopping ... Like I said ... our forecast is to expect the worst winter in 100 years!! Sheesh! I could be in Lincoln till 2013!
Better get going ...

Enjoy your sunday ...

~ Ros ~


18 comments:

Jeanneke said...

Like your Christmas tags!
Hope the weather forecast will appear to be wrong..., or at least a little bit!
Cheers,

Jeanneke.

Unknown said...

Oh, that's hilarious Ros! Would have LOVED to see the look on your face when your handsome uniformed man rang your door bell again ;-) But those photos are really nasty... Poor people who live there... Your tags look so lovely, you've used some fine fonts there! Ira x
irascreacorner.blogspot.nl

Linda Breedlove said...

Oh, I was so sorry to see the photos of the flooding... what a year this has been! I do hope you'll have a pleasant trip and be able to make it back home.
I must admit, I sat here laughing at your story about your handsome fireman. One of the reasons I love blogging... that we share the everyday happenings and can sometimes bring a smile to someone else. Thanks, dear lady! Love your tags... so bright and cheerful... lovely!
Have a happy Sunday!
Hugs!

Heather Rogers said...

Such a horrible situation to be in with the floods.

That little story of yours is hilarious! We have alarms in each room here, that is the requirement. I can only imagine how handsome that man was.

Your tags are beautiful Ros. Love the berries and leaves tied to the ribbon. :)

Hugs~

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

You have the cutest tag here.
Wow, the picture of the flood just scared me, I still haven't got through Sandy yet, although I am not in NYC, but you know how much I love the city, it just pains my heart to see that.
Talking about holiday gifts and cards, I set myself a target, that I need to get started this week, whew....

Mona Pendleton said...

I feel for those people. Keeping them all in my thoughts and prayers. Your tags are magnificent Ros! Love the mix of color and pretty heart background!

Lynnda said...

he he funny!!!
Loving your gorgeous Christmas tags Ros...
arggghh.... worst winter ever!!! not good....

have a great week ahead my friend... hugs...xoxo

Jinny Newlin said...

LOL! You crack me up! Our firemen definitely don't check our alarms, but we hear lots of things on the news of fires that get out of control due to alarms not working or not even having batteries in them. We're supposed to have them in every room here.

And I just love your fun tags! Those stitched hearts are fantastic!

lauren bergold said...

ok, the hunky fireman story has completely distracted whatever it was i was going to say, lol! lucky you, missus: to have both handsome visitors AND a husband cool enough to think it's funny that you "appreciate" them! definitely in the right marriage over there! ♥♥♥ ps: totally ignoring the "xmas panic" part of this post; i swear i was on the verge of hyperventilating last night when i started thinking how much there is to do in the next couple of weeks! at least we have our CARDS done, eh?! :)

Unknown said...

I loved listening to your story of the firemen. It reminded me of a time when I worked for the Dr. Office and they would have to come in and do there treadmill test at our office. We would always argue who's turn it was to do the test. They were good looking lads for sure.

Your cards look wonderful.

Hugs~

Sylvia said...

What fun tags, Ros, I would be sunk if I had to have things done as soon as you. The flooding looks horrible, we are experiencing major drought again. I do hope you will have a good stay with your aunt, but I hope you will be able to get home when time comes. Have a wonderful Monday!

Sasha said...

Your tags are beautiful, Ros. Such a lovely way to dress up a gift.
I actually had a boyfriend in the fire service when I was in my late teens. It didn't do a thing for me in those days...but it would now, LOL! Unfortunately, they don't call at our house to check the alarms. Loved to hear your story :) x

Barbara said...

Having a fireman come to check on them would definitely worth installing fire alarms. There are no regulations for that here and in fact I don't have one.
I love your tags - just wonderful! As for "a real bad winter"... I'm so wishing one was coming our way. I love snow shovelling. And having to take my time getting places. Or even not being able to go somewhere and instead enjoying a quiet evneing at home... hot tea, a good movie... I know, I'm weird that way.

Chris said...

Oh Ros, this made me laugh. My cousin is a fireman and has all the girls swooning - he was in one of those calendars without his top and even I had to admit he looked good :o)

Love your tags. I need to get some made soon - as well as more cards!

Stella said...

I LMBO reading your story... butyou still gorgeous to look at. He did come back for you:) Heehee!
Awe....your tags; I have place in my heart for cross stitch patterns and that heart pp is so pretty!
I've been watching the news and noticed the view from the UK. It must be horrible. And I am not looking forward to winter too....

Take care with all the prepping; thinking of you. Are you taking your Macbook with you? Hope to chat soon:)
XXXXX

Anonymous said...

I sure hope all those people are O.K.. How sad to have that happen , especially close to the holidys. I sure laqughed about your fireman lol!!!! Cute tags Ros!!

Sue Lelli said...

First - LOVE your tags and how you printed them on the computer and cut them out! Second, that fireman story had me on the floor laughing! Third, OMGosh that flooding is devastating.

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

Your Christmas tags are ADORABLE!

Have a safe trip to Lincoln.