Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Update

 Hello there... How are you?

I'm so sorry I haven't been visiting you and I don't have any cards to share yet but I wanted to give you an update on things. DH has got over his heart attack, though he remains anxious but is doing fine really. He's 9 years older than me so I still have quite a bit to deal with as he doesn't always cope with things. 
As for me, I've now lost the sensation in my left hand, though thankfully unlike the right arm hand and neck, it doesn't cause me much pain.

Well this morning I had my first appointment at the neuro centre and with Mikey alongside of me we listened to what the doctor had to say. I had hoped that with surgery, I would regain the feeling etc., in my hands, something similar to the lower spine surgery I had. Sadly this is not the case. Whilst there may be a small chance it will improve, it's more likely the damage to the nerves is permanent. Surgery can only halt the progression. It wasn't what I wanted or expected to hear...

I couldn't bear the thought of not being able to use my hands at all and do all the things that I love and as the doctor said, better to do what I love badly than never be able to do it at all. Even badly is frustrating for me but I continue to try. So I have opted for surgery I am now waiting to see a consultant in the forth coming weeks. 

In the meantime I have continued trying to sew - even got hubby to thread the needles and hold things. I get brain fog a lot and that doesn't help. I've also had to resort to having help around the house and Sue (the neice of my BF Beryl who passed away a few years ago) comes over once a week. She needs the money and I need the help so it's a win win, plus we get to chat a lot. I managed to make 5 bunny bags for 5 of her 6 granddaughters for Easter..


As a surprise I also made her a little black bag that she wanted and though my sewing is far from perfect and it takes me a long time, she was thrilled with it


I won't give up and I am even going to attempt some painting again, even if it is badly Lol!

Friends have been amazing and thank you all for the lovely cards and wishes. I got to go to lunch twice last week. A monthly meet with my 2 GF's and the keep fit class also had a belated get together lunch which was held at my DH's golf club so he had a word before hand with the staff who kindly helped me so I didn't have to struggle carrying anything.

I know there are worse things going on in the world and I am so lucky to have my friends here and in blogland to encourage me and allow me to share.

Sending hugs to you all

~ Ros ~

16 comments:

Mac Mable said...

Thank you for the update Ros but so sorry to hear the news about yourself x. Good news about DH x. This must be such a stressful and worrying time for the three of you x. So glad that Sue can help out and it's a win win for you both. Your bunny bags are adorable and well done DH for helping out x. No don't give up my friend and so glad you are managing some down time with friends x. Thanks for sharing and sending tons of hugs to you.....x.
Scrolled down and saw your post from the 28th Ros...I am so sorry I didn't see it in my reading list, really not like me xxxx. Thinking of you x.

Marcia Hill said...

I am so sorry the surgery will not totally cure the problem Ros, but hopefully halting the progression will help and you will learn to work around the numbness and pain. Hang in there and know I'm thinking of you and saying lots of prayers too! And your sewing projects look absolutely wonderful to me, so even though it takes a bit longer, keep it up...it is good for the body and the mind to stay active!! Sending warm hugs my friend!! :0)

Pat said...

So sorry to hear that the news is not as positive as you had hoped Ros, and I know all us crafters can understand that this is difficult to come to terms with, but at least if the surgery can stop it getting worse you will still be able to do what you love, and looking at what you have produced with these easter gifts you still have a lot of skill and talent and most importantly the will to do it..don't give up!! x

HilaryJane said...

Oh, how frustrating and disappointing for you, I can't even begin to imagine how it must be feeling for you, but I am so glad that you are continuing to do what you can to keep your creativity going. You little bunny bags are delightful and I can see why your helpful lady loved the bag you made her. I hope you don't have to wait too long for the surgery and thank you for taking the time to update us all. wishing you luck and sending lots of love xx

Christine Alexander said...

Ros, so sorry to hear the news of your surgery and the possible out come. I feel for you with even loosing a small amount of use in your hand, we love what we do in our crafting world. You amaze me with the gifts you have made they're much better than I could do with both hands working ♥. Take care of yourself and your husband and hope the surgery happens soon so you can get on with rehab xx

Carole said...

Sorry to read the news on your update Ros and understand that you must be feeling a bit upset by things at the moment. I do hope the surgery does some good for you...remember doctors don't always get it right...they are humans...and you may prove them wrong. Your talent is so abundant and the little bags you made are super. Glad to hear hubby is progressing well and I hope you can take strength from each other in these difficult times. Love and hugs xx

Greta said...

Saw this on my phone last night, but waited until I got on the laptop to leave you a comment. Wish I was there to give you a hug! I wouldn't be a lot of help around the house, so it's good your friend's daughter can do that--haha! A win win is always great! Wish you'd gotten better news, but I'm going to be thinking you WILL get improvement from the surgery & the sooner the better! Your sewing projects blow me out of the water, my friend! They're beautifully done--can't see anything not perfect! Just know my heart is with you. Big hugs, Greta

Bonnie said...

Not good news, but your attitude to it is inspiring. Thanks for sharing. Your sewing looks great to me and I'm sure you will be watercoloring some awesome pieces. I agree with your doctor that doing something well isn't as important as doing something you love. I'm glad you DH is doing well and recovered. I imagine it does take a while for the anxiety to leave. God bless you, my friend.

Darlene said...

Oh sweet Ros ... I'm so sorry to hear of your upcoming surgery but will pray that things turn out better than anticipated! Happy to hear DH is coming right along and that you've found someone to help you around the house. It is so good of you to take the time & make the effort to keep up updated ... truly appreciated as I think of you often and pray for your health to improve. I know I'm far, far away but please know I AM HERE FOR YOU! HUGS from OHIO, USA!

Darlene said...

Ooops ... totally forgot to mention how impressed I am with your sewing skills! The bunny bags are ADORABLE and WOW that bag is amazing ... I totally understand why she was so thrilled with it!! You have the right attitude ... keep moving forward! MORE HUGS from Ohio, USA

Maria said...

So sorry to hear of the news for upcoming surgery and it not giving you the outcome you wish for. You have great strength and are an inspiration for you intend to power on! Your talent is so amazing and how you share it with others is so awesome! I love the darling bunny bags and I’m sure they were greatly appreciated! And, super sweet of you to make your helpful friend a gorgeous black bag! It’s gorgeous! You’re always in my prayers! Take good care, my friend, hugs!!

I Card Everyone said...

Ros, I'm adding my thoughts and prayers to the mix! So sorry to hear that surgery is only a possible fix - we'll all be pulling for you, sweet friend! I'm so glad you've asked for help and in exchange will be helping Sue as well!
Your sewing amazes me!
=]

Leslie Miller said...

I'm glad to hear this update from you, Ros, but sorry it isn't better news. It is good, however that your hubby is okay. I understand that he could be nervous about activity for a while. You've done amazingly well with your beautiful projects considering your handicap. I probably couldn't do this on a good day! I used to sew a lot, but it's in my past now. I can't even imagine the difficulty in learning to adapt and adjust. Keeping up with your friends and activities outside the house is good. Some sunshine would go a long way in lifting your spirits, so I hope you get plenty of that soon. Sending hugs and hoping your surgery is soon.

CardmadSue said...

Thank you so much for sharing your news Ros and I’m so very sorry to hear about your health issues. It’s so good to know that you are trying to stay positive. Your makes are just fabulous and you are such a fantastic inspiration to others out there who may be struggling with health problems. You are in my thoughts and prayers and I sincerely hope that your operation is beneficial and that there are brighter days ahead for you. Take care and God bless you and your hubby xx

Inkyfingers said...

I'm so sorry to hear that the nerve damage may be permanent Ros but I'm glad to hear that the new painkillers are helping and hope that the surgery will halt further damage. With all these issues, plus the problem with your eye, it is amazing to me that you are still producing such beautiful pieces and I hope the results of your efforts bring lots of satisfaction along with the frustration. You may think that your stitching isn't perfect but I assure you that it is tons better than I could do and the love and care you put into it will mean so much to the lucky recipients.
It's good to hear that your husband is well on the mend and I hope his anxiety lessens as his confidence improves.
Keep on keeping on, my friend.

Hugs
Carol x

Papercraft Boutique said...

I'm so glad that your DH has got over his heart attack and enjoys playing golf, but I'm so sorry to hear that your left hand has lost sensation...
Great spirit to have continued to sew, and made the cute bunny bags and the stylish black bag! Hoping that you see a consultant soon to proceed with the surgery. Sending love and hugs.
Hideko xx